APRN / DNP Toolkit
Find the Evidence
No Systems resources available at the UW at this time. See the literature on this type of resource.
- American College of Physicians (ACP) Journal Club
Summary abstracts and comments on select original research articles and systematic reviews.
- Essential Evidence Plus
POEMs (synopses on common clinical conditions), guidelines, calculators.
- Evidence-Based Nursing 1998-
Assesses clinical relevance of best studies from international medical journals, including key details of studies and expert commentary on their clinical application.
- Cochrane Library
(Wiley) Systematic reviews (CDSR), DARE, controlled trials register.
- PubMed Clinical Queries using Research Methodology Filters
Use pre-formatted search filters to find evidence-based articles: etiology, diagnosis, therapy, prognosis, clinical prediction guidelines.
Search for your topic from these systematic reviews
Read about the 5S and 6s models of information services for finding best evidence for healthcare
- The 5S Model
Haynes, B. (2006). Of studies, syntheses, synopses, summaries, and systems: The "5S" evolution of information services for evidence-based healthcare decisions. ACP J Club. 2006 Nov-Dec;145(3):A8. (5S Pyramid)
- The 6S Model [pdf]
DiCenso A, Bayley L, Haynes RB. (2009) Accessing pre-appraised evidence:fine-tuning the 5S model into a 6S model. Evidence Based Nursing. 2009 Oct;12(4):99b. (6S Pyramid)
- Finding the Evidence to Support Evidence-Based Practice
Interpreting the Evidence
- CEBM Critical Appraisal Sheets
Assess the quality of systematic reviews, diagnostic studies, and RCTs.
- HeLLO Appraisal Checklists
From Health Libraries in Lincolnshire Online (HeLLO), NHS UK. Includes case control, cohort, qualitative, and economic studies.
- STrengthening the Reporting of OBservational studies in Epidemiology (STROBE)
Checklists of what to include in articles of observational studies. Includes case control, cohort, and cross-sectional studies.
- Appraisal of Guidelines Research and Evaluation (AGREE) Instrument
Assess the quality of clinical guidelines.
- Levels of Evidence
Descriptions of Levels of Evidence by clinical study category, and Grades of Recommendation.
- Asking Focused Clinical Questions
From the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine. Use the Educational Prescriptions [pdf] link to help you build a PICO question.
Find Guidelines & Reports
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Evidence Reports
Clinical, health care services, and methodology reports from Evidence-based Practice Centers.
Find Books & Journals
Clinical topic summaries. CE
- Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence-Based Handbook for Nurses
Hughes RG (ed.) AHRQ and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Apr 2008.
- Electronic Journals: Nursing
Nursing related electronic journals on HSL web site.
- Electronic Books: Nursing
Nursing related electronic books on HSL web site.
- ClinicalKey New!
Electronic library of textbooks, guidelines, journals, Pat Ed, imagesClinicalKey replaces MD Consult March2013
- STAT!Ref Online Library
Electronic library of textbooks.
Electronic library of textbooks, drug information, diagnostic tests, guidelines, case files. Pat Ed
Web-based clinical decision support system
- 2011 Lippincott's Nursing Drug Guide
(Books@Ovid) 2011 ed. Drug information for nurses; includes Nursing Considerations and Teaching Points.
- Micromedex 2.0
Clinical information on toxicology, drugs, drug interactions, and reproductive risks.
- Drug Facts and Comparisons
Includes Drug Identifier, IV compatibility, drug interaction checker. Pat Ed
- Natural Standard
Evidence-based information on dietary supplements, complementary therapeutic modalities, medical conditions.
Includes drug info, medical encyclopedia encyclopedia, dictionaries, organizations.
- Gerontology: Advanced Practice Nursing
Health information resources for Health Care Practitioners Licensed in Washington State
- Guide to Sources for Continuing Nursing Education
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, (CEBM)
- HSL Liaison to UWMC Nurses - Sherry Dodson
- HSL Liaison to Harborview Nurses - Amy Harper
- HSL Liaisons to UW School of Nursing: Janet Schnall, Joanne Rich