May 1, 2019
Marbles, May & Mental Health Month
Haven’t read this year’s common book Marbles by Ellen Forney? There’s still time to do so during National Mental Health Month this May!
The Health Sciences Library is recognizing the 70th anniversary of National Mental Health Month throughout the month of May. Visit our display on the 3rd floor near the Information Desk or check out the UW Health & Wellness guide to learn about campus resources dedicated to supporting your mental health.
Also stop by our Recommended Reading section to check out our 2018-2019 Common Book selection Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me: A Graphic Memoir. Look inside the mind of Seattle cartoonist Ellen Forney as she documents her years-long struggle to find mental stability after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Flagrantly manic and terrified that medications would cause her to lose her artistic creativity and possibly her livelihood, Ellen struggles to make sense of the “crazy artist” stereotype in this uplifting story of resilience and self-acceptance.
Marbles is just one of several graphic novels available through UW Libraries that deal with mental health issues from a personal perspective. Check out these great titles in honor of National Mental Health Month:
- Rock Steady: Brilliant Advice From My Bipolar Life by Ellen Forney
Available at Health Sciences Library Reading Area (WM 171.7 F727r 2018)
- Hyperbole and a Half : Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things that Happened by Allie Brosh
Available at Health Sciences Library Spec. Coll. Folio (WM 171.5 B874 2013)
- Black Girl Mania: The Graphic Novel by Bria Royal
Available at Odegaard Undergraduate Library Graphic Novels (PN6727.R696 B53 2017)
- The Hypo by Noah Van Sciver
Available at Odegaard Undergraduate Library Graphic Novels (E457.35 .V36 2012)
- I Never Liked You: A Comic Strip Narrative by Chester Brown
Available at Odegaard Undergraduate Library Graphic Novels (PN6733.B76 I33 2002)
- Lucille by Ludovic Debeurme
Available at Odegaard Undergraduate Library Graphic Novels (PN6747.D43 L8313 2011)
- The Nao of Brown by Glyn Dillon
Available at Odegaard Undergraduate Library Graphic Novels (PN6737.D555 N36 2012)
- Psychiatric Tales: Eleven Graphic Stories About Mental Illness by Darryl Cunningham
Available at Odegaard Undergraduate Library Stacks (RC454.4. C86 2011)
- Swallow Me Whole by Nate Powell
Available at Odegaard Undergraduate Library Graphic Novels (PN6727.P73 S93 2008)