November 17, 2021
Native American Heritage Month
In celebration of Native American Heritage Month, Health Sciences Library invites you to explore the following health resources for and about American Indian and Alaska Native communities.
Local and national organizations and associations
- Association of American Indian Physicians. One of AAIP’s main goals is to encourage Native American students to enter fields in the health professions and biomedical research.
- Indian Health Service: The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives. There is information here for patients as well as providers.
- Indigenous Wellness Research Institute. The Indigenous Wellness Research Institute—a National Institutes of Health–designated Center of Excellence—collaborates with indigenous people in three areas: research, tribal capacity building and knowledge sharing.
- Washington Tribes. Washington Indian Gaming Association’s educational website.
- Seven Directions: A Center for Indigenous Public Health. From the website: We are guided by the "seven directions" of practice: Integration & Holistic Wellness, Culture & Identity, Families & Communities, Respect for Sovereignty, Service, Indigenous Knowledge, and Tribal Governance.
Information websites and databases
- Native Health Database. This database contains health-related articles, reports, and surveys on North American Indigenous populations.
- Artic Health. An information portal to issues affecting the health and well-being of our planet’s northernmost inhabitants.
- Office of Minority Health: American Indian/Alaska Native. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health offers minority population profiles on five racial/ethnic minority groups including American Indian/Alaska Native. You will find health demographics and links to further reading on tribal health issues.
- Medline Plus: American Indian and Alaska Native Health. This National Library of Medicine website provides consumer health information. You can find videos, resources for children, journal articles, clinical trials, and more.
- Native Voices. The National Library of Medicines site—Native peoples’ concepts of health and illness.